Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Being Audited

We are being audited by the IRS, I am 27 years old and they say less than 1% of the Nation gets audited and they pick me??? Let me share with you my story for the past year and half. It all started when I was 8 months pregnant with my second son. We recieved a notice in the mail that we were being audited for the year 2003 for our charitable contributions and mileage. Side Note-That was the year my husband started his new business so he we were both W2'd and then he wrote off mileage for the new business plus we contribute 10% of our income towards charity plus thrift store donations. We recieve this notice and call and set up an audit appointment. We contact our tax person so that he can represent us and wait for our appointment. My baby is born, we set the appointment up a month after I was expecting my baby so that we could have time to deal with both not on top of each other. Baby is born. Two weeks pass and we recieve a notice from the IRS saying that we MISSED our appointment and our file has been forwarded to another department for our last chance. We missed our appointment??? I guess we had a different date than the IRS on when we were suppose to meet. We contact our tax guy, he calls the IRS and arranges for us to get another appointment in this new department for a RE-AUDIT this August (it is now March of 06) While we wait for the upcoming appointment we recieve a notice that we are being Audited for the year 04 and 05 with this new department also. They are auditing EVERYTHING. As of 04 my husband was a little more self-employed and wrote off more mileage and I had just taken classes and gotten my license and became self-employed. I wrote off everything because I did not make any money that year. In 05 I made some money and also paid the IRS $2,500.00. My husband also became fully self-employed. So we prepare for the August audit, the auditor delays it another month to the beginning of October. My tax guy does NOT want us there and says he will go an represent us. (Aww kid woke up, will continue later...)

No comments: