Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What Type of Mom are you?

The Biggest Mothering Taboo Poll Results What is the biggest 4-letter word for mothers? According to my recent poll, it's L-A-Z-Y. 40% of mothers feel like they must be constantly busy in order to feel OK about themselves. It seems like most of us are measuring our self-worth by how productive we are. I think this may be particularly true for J moms. Personally, I think of myself as a "hard worker" and have to remind myself to allow recovery time between tasks. Tip: Put a little "white space" between the end of one activity and the beginning of another, just like when you start a new paragraph on the computer. Your life will feel lighter and less burdensome. 36% of mothers voted for H-E-L-P, "I'd rather do it all myself rather than risk feeling incompetent, inadequate or needy." Competence is a big issue for Thinking moms, and "doing it right" motivates J moms. Tip: Try asking for help once a day, whether you need it or not. Observe the ramifications. You might be pleasantly surprised at the shift it produces in you and those around you. 24% said S-E-L-F. Good mothers are selfless, so these mothers avoid anything that might seem self-indulgent or selfish. I hypothesize that a lot of Feeling moms voted for this one. They are prone to over-giving. Tip: Take time for self-care; it's selfish not to. Treat yourself as if you mattered, because you do. Author - Janet Penley "Moms Circle Newsletter"

No comments: